Saturday, January 15, 2011

Numbers

     I want to give an update on my numbers, such as they are. I published DreamKiller earlier this week on Amazon (and so far, only on Amazon). I think it went live on Monday? And so far, I've sold 4 copies. Woohoo! The thing about DreamKiller that makes me so excited to have sold 4 in the first few days is that I've done ZERO advertising. Mainly, because its a short story, not a novel, and I feel kind of weird advertising for a 5000 word short. Maybe it's just me. But for now, it was mainly to be used as my "test dummy" of publishing, just to learn how it all works.
     I know that when my novel debuts I'll be really pushing it and getting the word out there. But, for this one, I think I'm content to throw it out there and see what happens. Any thoughts on how much "advertising" I should be doing for a short story, without any other novels/stories posted?
     Also- thoughts on a cover? The one that's up there now is something I threw together - so it would have something. And with it being a short, how much should I invest in a fantastical cover, really? And also- and this is the last one, I promise - any IDEAS for a cover? Especially from those of you who've read it...

     In other news, I've been writing less and honing other skills this past week. On Monday, I donned my best paint clothes and headed over to a vacant apartment I manage and decided to try "turning it" as they say, myself. I want to learn how to do things "around the house" and this seemed like a fun way to learn. So far, I've spackled and sanded, and painted. But the more complicated things are yet to come...My friend/DIY-partner-in-crime have promised ourselves we won't call our husbands for help. So. We'll see how this goes, AND how much of the repair work is due to our own self-inflicted damage rather than the work that was needed when we got there.

2 comments:

  1. Heather,

    This was a really good way to get your feet wet! I did check out your book when you first posted that it was up, but I haven't read it yet. I would suggest to get the cover sized to the industry standard, at least. It could use some sprucing up on the imagery as well, but I haven't read it so I can't really suggest anything?

    How will the short's pricing affect your "to be released" sales prices? If you sale something for $.99 and it is only 5000 words and then someone buys a full novel from you for the same price, that person is getting a deal. However, if some reads the novel first then reads the short, they will feel cheated, I would think.

    Angeline Kace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm definitely going to price the novel at $2.99, because of that very issue. As for the cover, I do need to do that. I didnt realize it wasnt the right size - like I said, a learning experience. =) Thanks for the great feedback AK!

    ReplyDelete